Skip to main content

RUDIMENTS 1155.

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,155
[In Pretty Much the Most Amazing Monolgue I'd Ever Heard]
(a jazz story, Jimmy Goodenough, Aug. 1969):
"Well that's an improvement" the
old timer said, while he was sitting
on a concrete and stone half-wall
separating the lawn from the shaded
people. It wasn't just the tone of his
voice that caught my ear but it was
also the accent and his demeanor -
both very interesting. So I decided
to stop right there and spend a
few moments with him, as I had
the time. I'd been working the
last 6 hours or so with Cheng
Dao Lee, known as Charley, an
artist who had a huge apartment
w/studio on w86th where he did
his work. 'Oblique paintings
of Chinese Hills,' we called
them. On this day some of his
large pieces needed crating
and readying for transportation
(to Rosencrantz Gallery, e57th)
- which was simple enough work
if one could be careful. It involved
building protective transport-frames
of 1x2's; a lumber-wood protective
covering, and nails and all the
simple stuff to construct around
each 8 or 10 foot painting so it
wouldn't get hurt during transport). I
used to do things like that occasionally.
A 30-dollar day, back in '68, wasn't
half bad for someone of my cheap
expense-level. When people back
then used to dance the 'Frug' (it
was some sort of dance craze about
1966) some thought it had been
named after me; short for 'frugal.'
-
Anyway, this guy on the wall looked
over to me and said "Sit down -
what are you doing around here?"
and I proceeded to do so, as we
started talking - this entire area
by the 72nd street entrance to
the park was always a favorite
spot of mine - the geography
right there is pretty active -
little hills and vistas, the wide
front of the Natural History
Museum and the Historical
Society across the street, and
nearby was some oddball place
called 'The Ethical Culture Society,'
yeah, right....and all those walls and
and benches and things which
ran along the walkway afforded
interesting views into the
park or along the roadway -
whichever one's preference - by
which to wile away the time or
just sit back on a nice day and
take it all in. That was before
the really rich and the rock
star royalty types began buying
up the place too. Rosemary's Baby
had been filmed in the Dakota,
and the later John Lennon BS
hadn't yet hit. This old guy was
just as interested in any detail
I could tell him as I'd be in
anything he told me - which
meant like a half-interest just
to help make a human-contact
and pass some time. So I told
him my current story : The
art-school downtown, and the
various little jobs here or there,
anywhere, I'd undertake to get
a few dollars; and the varied
ways and means of my wandering
existence. Of course, I'd leave
out the usual jibs and jabs of
what went wrong and who did
what, but no matter. He'd said
his name was Jimmy Goodenough
pronounced 'Goo-den-ow,' which
pronunciation he said was 'good
enough for me' - which I thought
maybe was a joke but never found
out really. I figured, with a name
like that, it was all probably a
practiced routine that he must
have done a thousand times already.
-
It turned out he was some old jazz
dude, from the hep-cat days of 15
or 20 years back and he had for
sure a certain attitude of his own
to which I listened and was raptly
startled and fascinated all together
at once. Although I'd never heard
of him I just let him talk - "...now
you've got the opportunity, now
you're young, and you should
be open to everything. You can,
let's say, 'absorb,' you dig? Like
right, so you got to always take
a moment and look around. Take
those moments too, boy, because
they're precious, and by God then
they just become scarcer and less
as you move along. I warn you that.
And just as important it is to listen,
JUST listen ! No other thing, no
other sound - just a note, like any
person would hear if they would,
if they COULD; you see, but they
never do because the monstrous
crossword puzzle of their dull
mind won't LET them, wherein
the wailing and the good sense
of all that is, and remains, hidden
by the four-letter word I am
thinking of: 'MIND,' or maybe
even 'JAZZ,' because they is
BOTH you see the very same
thing." I liked the way he talked,
the diction was off a bit, and
he shagged his words, almost
like a drunk would. He talked
deep, and mysteriously, like
Miles Davis, in fact. It was old
and intriguing, like when you
go to see a monument to
something old and forgotten,
one that no one ever visits
anymore. I thought it was
all that, and hip too. I figured
probably - strong and enunciated
and boisterous and exclamated;
all at the same time, but sensitive
and observantly wise too. Just
the weirdness of a voice with
a real past maybe. Super-real.
I figured not to step in. What
did I know, and so, instead,
I just let this old jazz guy go
on (it did seem back then there
were plenty enough of them about
- in the waning days of old 60's
jazz I'd somehow bump into
them now and again, pretty
often; and it was just like an
inner 'urge' or something to
come forth and be personified
in one of these guys). I was
always looking for twisted
idols to pick up on. He was
one. I knew that, and he
continued: "And I am thinking
of JAZZ maybe again, or that
be-bop hazing sound of evolution;
something like what went right
past, say, Louis Armstrong from
Fats Waller, without anyone really
noticing (what am I saying - oh man,
they noticed! Everybody noticed!),
until, POOF! right there was Louie,
with Lucy Baba Louie, ruining the
entire sell-out raggedy-muffin
scene. Selling it all out for money
and fame, CHEAP fame, mind you.
So much so like Louis had turned
white, or been turned, or let his'self
BE turned, white! And then some!
Any backstreet-curb-assed excuse for
nigger or hipster of jive or cool
whatever, right there in black
AND in white, playing that white
man's game. And the most
destructive thing he ever did was,
the worse move he ever made,
was to co-opt the voice of the
white-man's toady, that nigger
Armstrong; that vain ego-bleeding
sycophant circus-tent juggler, and
them ain't MY words neither - they
are exact words the words of Mongo
Park his'self, or someone very much
like him. That's all a quote, boy. Here,
have some of this." (And he handed me
a bottle in a brown, paper, bag).
"And then we let that whole ship o'shit
pass on until now the scene shifts, and
right under us, to the ultra-cool hip
of cigarette smoke, cocaine-induced,
heroin-rambling, spook-faced, dead-man,
sit-up tunes in any smoky New York
or Chicago blues parlor, jazz club,
speakeasy, big-hit: Hip tunes and
supposed black nigger-tunes, and
white-man's stupid poetics, tripping
with the downtown jazz-girls,
soothing voices talking back, ever
so lightly to the sex-tinged super-cool
waiters working for change or tip
or lovin' or lip, or smack, or whatever
you'd want. And it was right then as
if the whole entire major fag scene too
erupted on New York's darkest backwaters.
None of that was anything new. It had
always been there, but none of those
new-Whiteys to the scene ever
figured for that!"
-
"It was then that everyone finally
smiled, like even me; and down
at the Village and the old Cooper
Union porch and the Five Spot
Corner, with suddenly fifteen new
kinds of hepcats kids a day selling
everything and anything they
could, and it was all laid out on
the sidewalk each day - just
piles of stuff : boots, records,
clothes, tools, artifacts, paintings,
junk coats, and - you see don't you,
that the point was to turn one
or two dollars a day at least in
any way you could so to survive,
and all that 'angel-headed hipster'
stuff made no sense anyway because
the only people buying were either
themselves back and forth to each
other, or unwholesome freak-faces
from Long Island and New Jersey
strolling through this trinket-touristy
life like it all already OWED them
something. There was guys even
who'd sell their instruments, just
to buy them back maybe the very
next day - it was all like a pawn-shop
of the open air and for the poor
and the really down and out and beat
ones. It used to make me sick to
have to live that way, just a survive,
not a life. But no one made a move,
and no one knew a thing, except
that all of a sudden the hinterlands
had come home to roost, and the
best we could do was stay in place
and survive while it all wilted. The
beats died, the Jazz died, the real
color died, and the only thing left
was the co-opted motion of small
time merchants and beady-eyed
Italian neighborhood wranglers
trying to make a buck off the blood
and the spirit of dead kids already
dying and struggling too. They
labeled it this or they re-labeled
it that, and they tried to make it
work : hippie-carnival-fantasy-land.
But it couldn't, and it didn't, and,
at the same time these very kids
were wasting themselves, others
of them were dying and frying in
nowhere's land of another white,'
fantasy- vision-power-HELL Vietnam."
-
And so it seemed, he wouldn't stop
and didn't, and it was really weird -
as usually I did hate old people and
all their pontificating and bullshit
about life's lessons and all that crap
they never did and had failed to
realize, and blah blah, they just go on.
But this guy was different. He had an
edge. He had some freaked-out
wildman point-of-view about everything;
and it really did seem he'd done everything
and been all around - which got rid right
away of the fakery and the doubt and
made me want to listen, at least, just
for the hell of listening. And if I only
knew then what I know now, I'd have
started listening a lot closer, right off
the bat there and then and how.
Because I knew I wasn't getting it
all, nor going to be remembering it all;
and it really was the start of something
big; if only I had known.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RUDIMENTS 1164.

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,164 (I'm out of time) Dear Milllicent - I took your car from the driveway in New Orleans, but never brought it home. Some black folks up in Portland took it from me, saying it was rightfully theirs. I couldn't fight back, as they burned the 7-11. I'd driven up to Oregon to see what I could see about all this that was going on. Maybe write about it, or just observe for later. Nothing made sense, and I took a Greyhound down to Tempe, Arizona a few days later. I got there OK, well, really 'here,' since I haven't yet left. It's quieter here, but boring as Hell. All you may hear about Arizona; think sleeping buros and inactive Central Americans. - Up in Portland, the entire range of rage was different, and it seemed to be always changing. No one knew what any of it was about, but to them it didn't matter anyway. The strife and the theater of display was all that mattered. I

RUDIMENTS 1163.

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,163 (generalizations, mostly erroneous, we have) There's no legal maneuver for keeping a sound body and mind, and I truly think most people have already lost it by about age 15. Maybe before. Once a person seriously begins to accept the foul assumptions of society, and then directs efforts towards only ITS version of success and accomplishment, you've either already lost your mind to it or are well on your way to the adoption of their ways of both assuming and thinking. The unreal world is somehow bolstered enough by fantasy realms to, by silent force, become everyone's 'real ' world - no one ever knowing it's all bogus. There's little more annoying than seeing some 15-year old snot-nosed kid put on a shirt and tie and begin acting 'grown-up' and writing some Elks propaganda essay about like 'What America Means To Me.' Real dumb craphead stuff. I was always remind

RUDIMENTS 1162.

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,162 ('head down...don't look up') Well. Here I am, seemingly now relegated to a back-bench burner. My dog is dead. I'm in the process of a long, tedious uproot; boxes and carting. My mind and spirit tells me I can get through this, nicely, with compunction, and with a positive, creative field of endeavor. I work for light like that. - Pulling - no, tugging - from the other direction is all the local eastcoast, NJ, semi-ghetto way of living that I have to jam against. It's a startling fact, realizing that upon returning here each time, after 4 or 5 days away, this place appears decrepit, beleaguered, under assault, poor, morose, and wasted - with little quality anywhere. I trace my eyes, while driving, internally, as they leave the hills and mountains, the solitary singleness of the small roads, the twists and turns, all between gravel and dirt, rut and redstone. It's a different wo